The Buenos Aires Cabildo is found on Bolivar Street, facing the Plaza de Mayo and the Casa Rosada. It can be distinguished from all the surrounding architecture by its endearing low-rise colonial style, simple and very white. It is the oldest building in the city, dating back to 1610, although it has undergone numerous changes over time. It was the governmental and administrative core when Buenos Aires was just a village; the first seat of government and the first city jail were both found here. Eventually, when Buenos Aires became the capital of the Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata, the council expanded, growing in size and importance.