The Puente de la Mujer has become a real icon of Buenos Aires. It's in Puerto Madero, the trendiest district of the city, and was designed by the Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava. It's a pedestrian bridge, and it opens gracefully to allow ships to pass through. Puerto Madero is a very interesting neighbourhood, and I like to stand on the centre of the Puente de la Mujer to appreciate the view. You can see twenty restaurants on one of the docks, and the buildings surrounding the bridge are truly stunning.
There are colouful cranes, not here for work, but rather just to enhance the appearance of the modern port. The frigate Sarmiento, the first ship of the Navy School of Argentina, now a public museum, is anchored just past the bridge. The bridge, Calatrava's first project in Latin America, depicts a couple dancing tango. It is said that the man's silhouette is straight and the woman is leaning. Located on one side, in the center or across on the opposite side of the bridge, I confess that I could not identify the dancers. In this neighbourhood, all the streets are named after famous, influential women, and this bridge, linking Puerto Madero with the rest of Buenos Aires, is a remarkable work of contemporary architecture.
The Buenos Aires Cabildo is found on Bolivar Street, facing the Plaza de Mayo and the Casa Rosada. It can be distinguished from all the surrounding architecture by its endearing low-rise colonial style, simple and very white. It is the oldest building in the city, dating back to 1610, although it has undergone numerous changes over time. It was the governmental and administrative core when Buenos Aires was just a village; the first seat of government and the first city jail were both found here. Eventually, when Buenos Aires became the capital of the Viceroyalty of the Rio de la Plata, the council expanded, growing in size and importance. It was also the epicenter of the May Revolution. It's a shame that a building with such a long and exciting history has been partly demolished. This happened in 1894, when the Avenida de Mayo was designed. Before this, the Cabildo had eleven arches. Now, it has only five. Today the building is an interesting place to visit, with a museum inside that can show you something about the early history of Buenos Aires.
The Torre Monumental is one of those strange places that you'll find all over Buenos Aires. This 75-meter tower is conveniently situated in a neighborhood full of other historical monuments. In the early twentieth century the English residents in Buenos Aires decided to finance the construction of a tower to commemorate the May Revolution where Argentina won independence from the Spanish Crown.
The whole project was English from beginning to end: the architects, the construction company and even bricks and cement were brought from England. At the top of the 75-meter tower are the twin shields of Argentina and Britain, inaugurated in 1916. The original name, Torre Monumental, was soon forgotten, and it was known as the Torre de los Ingleses. But in 1982, after the outbreak of the Falklands War, the tower suffered at the hands of Argentines, who attacked this English symbol in the center of the capital. It wasn't until 2000 that the tower was restored, renamed with its original moniker of Torre Monumental, with the British Plaza where it stands renamed to the rather jingoistic Plaza of the Argentinian Air Force. As if this were not enough, directly opposite, on the hillside overlooking the Plaza San Martín, the Memorial to the Fallen in the Falklands War was installed. Today you can visit the Tower, which stands in one of the busiest parts of the city. If you go to Buenos Aires, be sure to stop by. Incidentally, the Shield of Great Britain with its lion and unicorn can still be seen there.
El Faro Recalada in Bahia Blanca is centrally located in the resort of Monte Hermoso, about 100 kilometres from the city. While technological advances have taken away the importance that the area used to have when it was first built, its large street lamp is still lit every night to the delight of visitors. It's very easy to access and the view from its highest point is really awesome. The beaches are accompanied with beauty and length. It's very quiet and ideal to visit in March, when the winds are soft, the water temperature is warm and the influx of tourists decreases significantly. Undoubtedly, it has the warmest waters on the Argentine coast. Really recommended.
The building of the once famous Tiger or Tiger Club Hotel was built in 1910 by French architecht Paul Pater, and the forehead gives it to the Luján river. It was completed and opened in 1912. In that same year he was visited by Argentine and foreign prominent figures like the poet Ruben Dario who wrote his poem there called "ramblings", as well as President Julio Argentino Roca and the Infanta Isabella, who had traveled to Buenos Aires on the date that marked the centennial of the May Revolution. Renaissance style is Carrara marble stairs, Venetian mirrors and columns with bronze base and top plastered (mass of plaster and glue). In 1979 it was declared a National Historic Landmark. It was restored and remodeled in 1990. For that reason, it is currently known as the Museum of Art Tigre.
In order to give thanks to Argentina for having housed many of their deceased children, this tower was built by Bernardo Ader. It was built in a place that was then a field, or more accurately, a farm that was purchased from his cousin named Baron Bieckert. It was where Ader had moved by medical advice to his family. Independence Tower, better known as Ader Tower, began construction in 1916 and was inaugurated on July 9, 1917. Long before the current urban development and in the middle of a deserted place as it was, the tower served as a reference, among others, the then recent rail travelers. It was part of a larger project that included a huge house that was never built, where was his lookout tower. Eventually the tower was given to the community in 1967 by descendants of Ader. Currently, the tower is a cultural place. It has been declared as a municipal historical monument, and it also serves as a newspaper and historical research center. Visitors can visit and climb to its top for a 360 degree view of the city. It is located at the intersection of Triumvirate and Castelli, in the town of Carapachay, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Visiting hours at the viewpoint are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 12:30 pm. And the reference to the Institute of Historical Research, Monday through Friday from 9-13 pm.
The Monumento a Los Caídos en Malvinas was inaugurated in April 2006 and was made by the sculptor Orlando Quintana. The monument consists of two tall steel columns and a horizontal structure that connects the two columns. Below, the same material in a brighter tone is used for a geographical representation of the Falkland Islands. The monument bears the names in alphabetical order of the fallen from the air force, army and navy on marble slabs. It is located on Avenida Costanera.
It is the only house left standing which belonged to Don Juan Manuel de Rosas, and is located3 blocks from the main square. It was brought from the Estancia los Cerrillos on December 23, 1987 and placed there in order to be accessed as a historical monument. The ranch is characteristic of eighteenth-century Buenos Aires style of architecture. The roof is original and was made with a bamboo lattice type structure, with a belfry and tied with thongs made from foal leather. The walls are made of mud and straw, in a sausage type system, with walls about 45 cm thick and has 4 rooms, one behind the other. The doors and low windows have iron bars in case of an attack by the Indians. The March 22 parties celebrating the Federation were held here with the presentation of shows right in front of the Rancho de Rosas. The location of the Ranch, and other information is available from the Tourism Office of the Municipality of San Miguel del Monte.
This family monument was opened on September 24th, 1975 and pays homage to the CHRISTIAN FAMILY. It was built by the sculptor ALBERTO BALIETTI and was donated by Dr. ALFREDO ANNAN in the name of ANNAN of Pergamina, the company that transcends the boundaries of the City of Pergamina, not only within the country, but also abroad.
The Psychedelic Blue Square: great design we are used to. Francisco Salamone is the architect of the pampas. When you walk, floor tiles should not move, but it seems they do. It's an optical illusion, the floor is completely flat, it seems to ripple and feels like it's moving. Of course this was also square aggiornada by Salamone with different types of lamps, planters, an impressive fountain and even different styles of benches were made by this innovative architect. Close by there is a Housing also made by Salamone who shares some characteristics similar to the square.
The railway station is a place that is more than 100 years old, yet remains virtually intact, including the platforms and the English-style facade built by them around the year 1911.
Although the trains do not run as often, it is also used for shows of music, dance, etc. organized by the Steering Pehuajó Culture.
The old Palomar is located in the birthplace of Robert J. Payró, a renowned writer and journalist, in the town of Mercedes, Buenos Aires. Although the Palomar is no longer in use it is still inhabited by a few pigeons. It can be visited with permission at the entrance of this historic place. It is can be found on 34th Street between number 111 and 113, on the old road entrance to Mercedes.
Jesus Crucified is one of the recurrent motifs of those working Salamone . This expressive sculpture of Christ, similar to that of the Oratory of the Cemetery, is on Route 3 near the entrance of the town of Blue in Buenos Aires. Close by you can see the Municipal Slaughterhouse Blue , the work of the architect Francisco Salamone.