Located in the historical district of Monserrat bordering the district of San Nicolas de Bari, the Plaza de Mayo was occupied in 1661 by Jesuit buildings that have now been demolished. This religious group arrived at the time of the Spanish conquest to evangelize the inhabitants of the continent. The Plaza de Mayo has held markets, executions, fiestas, and bullfights, but mainly it was the meeting place for traders, a place where you could buy candles, fish, armadillos, and chickens.
It is also where, on May 25, 1810. Argentina took its first step towards freedom and where in 1860 the Constitution was sworn in. The modern square was designed in 1902 like Independence Park in the city of Rosario by the French landscape architect and naturalized Argentine, Carlos Thays, famous for using palms trees from Rio de Janeiro. The square has two fountains and an equestrian statue of General Manuel Belgrano in bronze on a granite pedestal. The body was made by French sculptor Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse and shows the hero holding the flag in the act of taking an oath, while the horse was sculpted by Argentine Manuel de Santa Coloma, who was born in Argentina Embassy in Paris.
The monument was funded by the Argentine people who gave what they could, as a sort of public gratitude to the creator of the nation. On the monument, there are two bronze plaques reading "Manuel Belgrano February 13, 1813" and "Acts of Congress of Tucumán July 25, 1816." In the center of the square stands the Pyramid of Mayo, and next to the bronze statue of Don Juan de Garay. In front of the square is the Cathedral, which dates back to the nineteenth century.
On November 19, 1882, the founding ceremony of the city of La Plata took place in this square plaza. The huge green space (8 hectares in total, one of the largest in Argentina) is dotted with statues and bordered by trees. The Plaza Moreno is iconic of La Plata, and on one side you have the imposing Cathedral and on the other,Town Hall.
Plaza San Martín is a wonderful green space perched on the cliffs and shaded by huge trees. There are curved paths leading to a large lookout point with views over the Retiro neighborhood and the Torre de los Ingleses. There are stunning buildings surrounding the square, including the Palacio Paz, the Plaza Hotel, and the Kavanagh Building, built from reinforced concrete in 1936 and declared a World Heritage architectural site. During lunchtime, the area fills with workers from the nearby offices looking relax with a picnic on the grass.
The May 25 Square is extremely large and spacious and occupies two entire blocks and is a valuable green space in the middle of the town of Pergamino. It has at its center a magnificent monument to General San Martin, who appears on horseback and in an attitude of greeting. The size of the sculpture is huge. The square is divided into different sectors, with large paved paths which cross the square, beds with plants and quite low shrubs ..... It is completely surrounded by a double row of towering casuarina trees, separated by a wide dirt road. It also has an area with aplayground and one thing you should not miss the FANTASTIC ----- Carousel.
Totally remodeled, the Miguel Davila SWquare, was for many years known as the Exercise Square, because it had an outdoor swimming pool and a great space to play basketball, it currently has ancient trees and especially many playgrounds, plus a pretty little carousel. It is opposite the Plza Julio 9, toether with which, occupy two city blocks , very important for the city. At present, the municipal government has implemented a WI-FI service, as a modern extra .....
The July 9th Square is a beautiful place, located halfway between the entrance of the town, on Route 8 and the center of the city. It has a profuse apple grove and a big fountain, along with other smaller fountains which are scattered across the land it occupies. It was formerly known as "the CANYON PLAZA" because of the gun that looks at it from the early days of this green space. It is also called "the SQUARE of the boats" as children used to bring their boats to make them "sail" in the fountain. It is extremely well maintained and it is usually used for events such as outdoor concerts, tango dancing and folk dances, etc.. For some time it has been used by the residents who come here, there is also WI-FI service.
The square was originally called Plaza de Armas before it became the Square of Spain on 1 February 1901. In the 40s, during a historical revision it was baptized in the name of Viceroy Vértiz during his tenure. However, today it is called Square of Spain. It is a place of relaxation and tranquility in the silent land. In the center of the square stands a statue of Juan Manuel de Rosas who looks like he's watching his ranch. Call Tourism San Miguel del Monte for info.
In the center of this square you can see the figure of Don Raul Videla Dorna reminiscent luxury rancher with its gaucho cowboy clothes. While the square dates back to 1860, 1900 is when it really started to become a meeting place and shortly after the changes followed. It is surrounded by bananas and two huge drunk clubs, one facing the street Leandro N. Além which is claimed to have been brought from Bolivia by those who returned from exile after the fight between the radicals and the conservatives. Adolfo Alsina Square is the place where most of the local choose to go to on a more daily basis. It's surrounded by the city, the church, banks and two bars that bring together all those that are there for a chat whilst enjoying a coffee.