We found this quiet cove luckily, since we lost the car looking for a place like this ... The truth is that we liked being a place with such very few people, something that is not very common for the beaches in this area, and because I found one very nice cabana bar (hammocks in the shade next to the stunning sea). It is a natural creek with gravel and pebbles with clear deep turquoise waters, in a site where the pines almost reach the sea.
The area between Moraira and Calpe (in the municipality of Benissa) is lined with some of the most attractive coves of the Costa Blanca. Sand or gravel, they all have in common transparent waters that allow you to see the amazing rocky bottoms they hide, and they are the perfect scenery for diving and sailing.
Among them, the most popular one is Cala Fustera. It has a greater number of restrooms and it has a sports area and a children’s area. A small marina located on the border with Calpe offers the services of a sailing school and a diving centre.
The most impressive ones are:
- Cala Baladrar
- Cala Fustera
- Cala Advocat
- Els Pinets
A few kilometers south of the Cap Blanc cove, L'Advocat is hidden, another beautiful corner of the Costa Blanca. L'Advocat is enclosed by a breakwater and a of 47 meters high cliff. The fine sand and pebble beach, with calm waters which are ideal for swimmers. In July and August, the creek is semi-urban, so in order to enjoy it in full, leave it for any time during the rest of the year.
This magnificent Gothic Revival church was built by the people of Benissa and completed in 1929. It is popularly known as the Cathedral of the Navy for its large dimensions. It is well worth a visit in order to enjoy its undeniable beauty from either its imposing exterior or interior space or for its stained glass windows.
Around the ancient Church-Fortress of the now demolished San Pedro, and along the street were constructed Puríssima stately homes for the important families of Benissa , especially in the 18th century. Among the most interesting of these, we can see the home of Andrew and Pere Bigot, now converted into the University of Alicante 'en la Marina Alta' This House was built between the late 18th and early 19th centuries and is one of the most representative examples of the buildings in the district of Marina and one of the most interesting examples of civil architecture from these centuries around Valencia.
We find ourselves in one of the most important sites of ancient Benissa. Here was the Church-fortress of San Pedro, built in the 16th century, possibly on the ruins of a 14th century Arab mosque. It was built for the celebration of the Christian cult (between 1550 and 1570), but also with clearly defensive functions, due to increased pirate attacks that occurred during that period along the Mediterranean coast. It was a very imposing building. Its appearance can be seen by the image painted on tile on one of the walls of the square.
We can also see a replica of the entrance gate to the church. Following the opening of the new and imposing parish church dedicated to Xiqueta Puríssima in 1929, this old church gradually fell into disuse, suffering severe damage over time. Therefore, it was decided, at the beginning of the 1940s, to demolish it.
It is currently a garden and retiring square which is used intended for the realization of various cultural events.
It was built at the end of the 16th century and was located in the middle of the old town, in the old main street. Its main function was the warehouse for the procurement and sale of wheat trade which was important in medieval times. It was also used as a town house or City Hall, in its narrow halls to the Council, archive, prison and administrative charges of the time. In the 20th century it served as a school, inside a machine is preserved for mondar almonds, invented and patented by local industrialist Silvestre Ivars, which obtained great success in the 1930s.
This is an old estate - convent whose owner was Sister Louise Abargues Vives (born in 1899 and at an early age entered the Congregation of the Sisters of Loreto). On his death in 1937, he gave all their goods for charitable purposes, becoming this foundation that had been responsible for the Christian education of children and young people of Benissa and its region.
Benissa has a four-kilometer coastline in which we find a succession of small, beautiful coves of clear waters that allow us to see the fantastic rock bottoms, within a natural environment, the most busy and bustling area being the Fustera. From June to October, the sailing school Les Basset Yacht Club (road Moraira-Calpe) organises activities such as day sailings, kayaking followed by a Mediterranean breakfast and full moon viewings. All imbue the visitor with a chill-out mood as you sit with torches and taste local produce.
This is located in the Plaza del Portal which occupies the old Municipal Hospital building, erected in 1790 with the purpose of caring and sheltering the sick and needy, it houses a stone cross in the center. it became the City Hall in 1981 after a complete restoration of the large stone house. The name refers to the place that was to become a door that led to the walled enclosure from the outside population.